Photo

Any hope in near future that DefenseWall will support 64-bit systems?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Kane

Kane

• Active Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:59 PM

Why is this so hard?

Edited by Kane, 06 January 2013 - 06:59 PM.

#2 smallpebble

smallpebble

Adv. Member

• Active Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:52 PM

In 64 bit Windows, Microsoft have Kernel Patch Protection AKA Patchguard that doesn't allow you to change the Kernel.  For DW to work to it's full potential it needs control of the Kernel, which isn't allowed in 64 bit Windows.

It boils down to Microsoft being arseholes really

Well that's my take on it anyway :-)

#3 Mercurybird

Mercurybird

Sen. Member

• Active Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:06 PM

There are ways around Patchguard. But Ilya doesn't do things that way. It's on the up-n-up or it's not up at all. Besides that, once Microsoft updated the kernel, that software wouldn't work any more. I think I have all that right. :guy_drunk:

#4 Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich

- DefenseWall -

• SoftSphere Technologies
  • 4,975 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:12 PM

Yes, that's correct. There are ways to bypass certain implementations of PG, but, with next update, that may stop working and your computer will starts to be a BSOD generator. Not really a reasonable way out...

#5 pablozi

pablozi

• Active Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:46 PM

But let's be honest - without x64 support DW will die :(

Almost every new computer has more than 4GB's of RAM and x64 Windows preinstalled.

#6 Rivalen

Rivalen

Sen. Member

• Active Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:23 PM

Just checking in here and on Wilders to see if there has been an opening for DW 64bit - but sadly not. Well I use Restricted user account, free Antivir, EMET, Sandboxie set to max on my 64bit but I would love to go back to DW. The only hope is another view on PatchGuard from Microsoft then. I will wait and check back here again.

#7 Kees1958

Kees1958

Sen. Member

• Active Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:25 PM

Hi Ilya,

Thought let's check in to see what is the status of DW. My mother will become 80 this year and is still very happy with DW (on he XP Pro Dell low spec dual core laptop). Do you have any older users? :-) sure says something on the ease of use of DW.

Any chances of x64 using untrusted low intergity and ACL/ACE of Windows itself for a future DWx64 release?

Regards Kees

#8 Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich

- DefenseWall -

• 4,975 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:26 PM

Hi!

Well, this time I still trying to get resources for x64 version development, taking into account that MS getting PatchGuard harder and harder from version to version.

#9 Mercurybird

Mercurybird

Sen. Member

• Active Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 01:39 PM

Well since Win10 is going to be the last OS MS produces, and it will only be updated for 10 years, you would think they would come off of their PG anal retentive stance. What do they care what happens to it after they abandon it. When that time comes you can hack the kernel, make DW 64-bit, and you would see a renaissance of DW like you've never seen before.

#10 Chachazz

Chachazz

Is GSF inventory

• General Admin
  • 35,719 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 06:52 PM

And what about Windows 10 support, Ilya?

#11 Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich

- DefenseWall -

• 4,975 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 07:52 PM

Checking it.