• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ruinebabines

ruinebabines

Adv. Member

• Active Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 07:24 PM

I have a problem with my newsreader and I would like to check if its is blocked by DW. If not I will know that I have to investigate my other security tools...

DefenseWall log file

01.08.2011 14:03:30, module C:\Program Files\XanaNews\NewsReader3.exe, Attempt to rename file C:\Program Files\XanaNews\log.txt (Fichier )

01.08.2011 14:03:30, module C:\Program Files\XanaNews\NewsReader3.exe, Attempt to overwrite file (overwrite_if) C:\Program Files\XanaNews\log.txt (Fichier )

01.08.2011 14:01:00, module C:\Program Files\XanaNews\NewsReader3.exe, Attempt to set value AppData within the key HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\ (Base de r?gistre)

01.08.2011 14:00:55, module C:\Program Files\XanaNews\NewsReader3.exe, Attempt to set value Common AppData within the key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\ (Base de r?gistre)

01.08.2011 14:00:56, module C:\Program Files\XanaNews\NewsReader3.exe, Attempt to set value ProxyServer within the key HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ (Base de r?gistre)

01.08.2011 14:00:56, module C:\Program Files\XanaNews\NewsReader3.exe, Attempt to set value SavedLegacySettings within the key HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Connections\ (Base de r?gistre)

01.08.2011 14:00:54, module C:\Program Files\XanaNews\NewsReader3.exe, Attempt to set value Cache within the key HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\ (Base de r?gistre)

01.08.2011 14:00:54, module C:\Program Files\XanaNews\NewsReader3.exe, Attempt to set value Directory within the key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Cache\Paths\ (Base de r?gistre)

01.08.2011 14:00:54, module C:\Program Files\XanaNews\NewsReader3.exe, Attempt to set value Cookies within the key HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\ (Base de r?gistre)

01.08.2011 14:00:55, module C:\Program Files\XanaNews\NewsReader3.exe, Attempt to set value History within the key HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\ (Base de r?gistre)

01.08.2011 14:00:55, module C:\Program Files\XanaNews\NewsReader3.exe, Attempt to create service (Service)

01.08.2011 14:00:53, module C:\Program Files\XanaNews\NewsReader3.exe, Attempt to set value Local AppData within the key HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\ (Base de r?gistre)

01.08.2011 14:00:53, module C:\Program Files\XanaNews\NewsReader3.exe, Attempt to set value within the key HKCR\CLSID\{638A4DB2-B381-42B2-9EE9-58229EF72967}\ (Base de r?gistre)

#2 Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich

- DefenseWall -

• SoftSphere Technologies
  • 4,939 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 09:02 PM

Try to select C:\Program Files\XanaNews\log.txt file and, with Windows Explorer right-click "DefenseWall" menu item select "allow to be modified by untrusted".

#3 ruinebabines

ruinebabines

Adv. Member

• Active Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 09:16 PM

Yes, it is working now after following your instruction. Thanks Ilya, and sorry to have took your time. I should have known better and do it by myself. Thanks again for your help and sincerely have the prosperous year 2011 that DefenseWall and you deserve! beer.gif

#4 Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich

- DefenseWall -

• 4,939 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 09:44 AM

Nope, you did all right. In case of problems, you should always contact tech support. This will helps me to keep tracks.

BTW, XanaNews is written wrong way, the program can't work under LUA. Do they ever read MS programming guides?

#5 ruinebabines

ruinebabines

Adv. Member

• Active Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 01:02 PM

XanaNews is a free source code delphi app, powerful, fully featured newsreader for Windows 98, 2000 and XP. But it is quite old by now. Out from an old habit, I am using the version 1.19.1.269 (http://xananews.techtips.com.br/) that is/was more kept more up to date. I am not on usenet that much these last years but I like XN more than the other 2 newsreaders that I also keep at hand on my XP box.

I don't use LUA, even on 7x64, because I find it to annoying to deal with. I prefer to run as admin and full UAC + RAAC + some other security tweaks. But it's just me and I know that it is not as safe...

Btw, I did ask on another non-related thread if it would be possible to modify your installer to give us the option to not put any link in start menu. I configure and reorder my start menu for my taste and I always have to go clean it after each update and beta installation. Not a biggie but any ways I had to ask.
Could you please tell me your take on this?

Edited by ruinebabines, 09 January 2011 - 01:04 PM.

#6 Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich

- DefenseWall -

• 4,939 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 03:35 PM

Well, it's possible, I may add undocument registry-based switch on it.

#7 Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich

- DefenseWall -

• 4,939 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 03:45 PM

OK, did it. Add "init_start_menu" DWORD value into the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SoftSphere Technologies\DefenseWall\Options" registry key and set it as "0". Everything's without quotas, naturally.

#8 ruinebabines

ruinebabines

Adv. Member

• Active Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 03:53 PM

Ok, it would be a good enough solution for me. That being said I will let you weight the final decision to implement this or not. But if I am the only one to have a need for it, please don't spend your time there and just continue your great work on fine tuning DefenseWall for the next releases to come.

Edited by ruinebabines, 09 January 2011 - 03:54 PM.

#9 ruinebabines

ruinebabines

Adv. Member

• Active Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 04:00 PM

QUOTE (Ilya Rabinovich @ Jan 9 2011, 03:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OK, did it. Add "init_start_menu" DWORD value into the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SoftSphere Technologies\DefenseWall\Options" registry key and set it as "0". Everything's without quotas, naturally.

(Oops I did not see your post before my preceeding reply.)

Great, I will be happy to give this a try on your next build released! :-)
Thanks much.

Edit: And would it be possible to have a kind of list somewhere to see all the different registry switches now available for DW? Or maybe could it be included on some readme txt file with the installation?? Just an idea...

Edited by ruinebabines, 09 January 2011 - 04:07 PM.

#10 gerald100

gerald100

Adv. Member

• Active Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:42 PM

QUOTE (ruinebabines @ Jan 9 2011, 11:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Ilya Rabinovich @ Jan 9 2011, 03:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

(Oops I did not see your post before my preceeding reply.)

Great, I will be happy to give this a try on your next build released! :-)
Thanks much.

Edit: And would it be possible to have a kind of list somewhere to see all the different registry switches now available for DW? Or maybe could it be included on some readme txt file with the installation?? Just an idea...

You know, I remember several switches or manual registry entries. You are correct, I hope Ilya has kept track of them. A text file located in the defensewall directory would be nice. I do not think we need anything more elaborate than the text file. So, I agree.

Gerald

#11 ruinebabines

ruinebabines

Adv. Member

• Active Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 03:15 PM

QUOTE (gerald100 @ Jan 10 2011, 09:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You know, I remember several switches or manual registry entries. You are correct, I hope Ilya has kept track of them. A text file located in the defensewall directory would be nice. I do not think we need anything more elaborate than the text file. So, I agree.

Or maybe could it be a good idea to start a new tread to try to put together a kinda list of the many undocumented switches available as of now.
Please, Ilya and folks, give your thoughs on the value of this possibility...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users