TheSentinel

The man in the dark

• General Admin
  • 24,406 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:30 PM

Windows 8 'Metro' is revolutionary
By Robert Johnson

2012-03-01

February 29 is the day I waited for for a long time. I downloaded the Windows 8 Consumer Preview to test out the work Microsoft has done so far, and I am very impressed. There are still some rough edges, though, but I like what Microsoft is doing. Strangely, I seem to be one of the few people that actually "get it".

As a designer, I am perfectly on board with anything that allows print and digital to come together in interesting ways. Mike Kruzeniski, who is a Creative Director at Microsoft, gave presentation "How Print Design is the Future of Interaction" at SXSW 2011 discussing this convergence. In interactive, content is important. We are quickly moving to a time where the lines between print and interactive content are blurring. And herein lies the problem with Windows 8. I refer to Metro, Windows 8's new motif that is receiving mixed reaction from testers.

Metro as a design language takes its cues from print: clear sense of hierarchy, reduction of elements (simplicity), generous use of white space and the use of imagery to convey meaning and important information. My point is this: White space scares a lot of people when it comes to applications because for far too long we have been led to believe that the only way to design an application is to add lots of chrome and other interface elements that tend to distract from actual content.

Microsoft is blazing a bold new path into a future where chrome is used when appropriate (Office, Visual Studio, etc.) and when it's not necessary (Metro apps). This is why so many people don't like Metro. The don't like the apps. They don't like the start screen. It's way too different from what they're used to.

Read more why Windows 8 claims to be revolutionary at: http://betanews.com/...-revolutionary/

Interaction Design History: http://www.slideshar...-design-history

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users