Photo

p4 single core 3ghz vs core 2 duo 2.16ghz

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 drhu23

drhu23

• 3 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:17 AM

The p4 is an single core 3ghz with 4g ram (only 3.5g of wich is usable).

Im wondering how that would compare (performance wise) to the core 2 duo with 2.16ghz cpu that I can put 8g of ram into.

Also, this is for 32 vs 64 bit systems that i am wondering about, as I've read that that makes a big difference.

I am considering switching over to the core 2 duo...any advice is greatly appreciated.

#2 TheSentinel

TheSentinel

The man in the dark

• General Admin
  • 24,662 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:27 AM

Hi drhu32

to compare an old P4 processor with an 'modern' Core 2 duo is like comparing a horse with a formular 1 race car. that mentioned C2D with 2.16GHz is ways faster than any P4 system. Even if the C2D works slower (2.16GHz) there are 2 cores which can handle instructiuons much faster cause they're sharing them work.

For more details I would suggest to have a search with these words: core 2 duo faster than p4

Regards
TheSentinel

#3 drhu23

drhu23

• 3 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:52 PM

QUOTE (TheSentinel @ Mar 20 2012, 11:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi drhu32

to compare an old P4 processor with an 'modern' Core 2 duo is like comparing a horse with a formular 1 race car. that mentioned C2D with 2.16GHz is ways faster than any P4 system. Even if the C2D works slower (2.16GHz) there are 2 cores which can handle instructiuons much faster cause they're sharing them work.

For more details I would suggest to have a search with these words: core 2 duo faster than p4

Regards
TheSentinel

I,m looking for an overall performance gain including gaming and multitasking. Im getting tired of the p4 sounding like a blender on high speed half of the time. Are there losses of performance I would see with the core 2, or does it also depend on specific mbs, chipsets etc? Keep in mind I will also have nearly 2x ram available with the newer tower.

I'm almost ready to take the leap, I'm just wondering if I'll be sacrificing performance in certain areas.
Also, I think I'll be staying with 32 bit, as from what I understand 64 bit suffers in terms of software compatibility.

PS: thanks for your reply

Edited by drhu23, 20 March 2012 - 02:21 PM.

#4 TheSentinel

TheSentinel

The man in the dark

• General Admin
  • 24,662 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:00 PM

Hi

see here please. It's the only link I could find, which may answer few of your questions. I'm not sure if all your questions will get answered, but here a global search query for Google

Running 32- or 64-bit operating systems depends on what you do with your computer. Gambling, gaming can be covered easily with 32-bit system. But as always known, at ~3GB... ~4GB RAM maximum is reached. Some newer games support multicore CPUs and that means these CPUs are running at more than the limitating 4GB.

There isn't such a big difference running a 64-bit OS. When checking what OS are installed you can see that 64-bit systems are still increasing. IMHO, it will take few years, but 64-bit will become a new standard. All my computers are on 64-bit only netbooks are running with 32-bit. And rumors that there are no 64-bit device drivers available is still a hoax. No big player of hardware (f.e. printer, scanner etc) can deny any 64-bit support... otherwise that one can close its doors.

Regards
TheSentinel

#5 drhu23

drhu23

• 3 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:50 AM

Thanks for the replies. I took the plunge including 64 bit and am very glad I did. Everything seems to run smoother and faster...can't see a downside except for losing Geswall (trying to learn Sandboxie), and losing Dosblaster was a heartbreaker, but...easy come easy go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users