TheSentinel

The man in the dark

• General Admin
  • 25,000 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 02:36 PM

Lifelines for a dying BlackBerry: integrating, re-branding, licensing
By Tim Conneally

2012-03-31

Thursday evening, BlackBerry maker Research in Motion posted its fourth quarter 2012 results, marking major losses: a 21 percent quarterly decline in BlackBerry smartphone shipments (11.1 million,) and a 19 percent decline in revenue ($4.2 billion,) which resulted in a $125 million net loss.

Furthermore, RIM's former co-CEO Jim Balsillie, who stepped down from his position in January, tendered his resignation from RIM's executive board. This brings a complete end to Balsillie's twenty year term with Research in Motion.

RIM's new CEO Thorsten Heins certainly has a full plate in front of him.

"I have assessed many aspects of RIM?s business during my first 10 weeks as CEO. I have confirmed that the company has substantial strengths that can be further leveraged to improve our financial performance," Heins said in a statement on Thursday. "In addition to delivering the BlackBerry 10 platform and refocusing resources on RIM?s key opportunities, such as BlackBerry Mobile Fusion and new integrated service offerings, we will also drive greater operational performance through a variety of initiatives including increased management accountability and process discipline. In parallel, we are undertaking a comprehensive review of strategic opportunities including partnerships and joint ventures,licensing, and other ways to leverage RIM?s assets and maximize value for our stakeholders."

Detailed: http://betanews.com/...ding-licensing/