Photo

Camera & Scanner Wizard

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 slkc2832

slkc2832

• 6 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 11:20 PM

My MS Camera & Scanner Wizard used to pop up and work fine until a few months ago. It stopped working. I can't even get it to recognize my comera by Start-Running the program. I've been told that an XP update may have caused the NoDriveTypeAutoRun registry to be changed. I checked it and it is 91 hex. Any help would be appreciatd. I lke the ease of the wizard and this is a nagging problem I can't correct.
Thanks
Steve

#2 TheSentinel

TheSentinel

The man in the dark

• General Admin
  • 24,854 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 11:33 PM

Hi Steve :thumb:

As far as I know there's nothing know that one of the latest MS updates, patches or whatever does cause such a problem....

Hmm, what kind of digicam are you using? Most digicams (f.e Fuji, Nikon, Sony, Pentax) do not need any installations. It's just a plug in the USB cable and little bit later XP recognizes a new hardware, installing the needed device drivers and after that you can access the memory card like a harddisk drive.

Please give us some more details about that digicam, what program it needs to transfer the pictures on your computer. I'm sure we will find solutions for your problem ;)

Have a great day....

Greetz
B. Udo

#3 slkc2832

slkc2832

• 6 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 11:38 PM

Thanks for the reply. I'm working with my father-in-law's camera. Sony DSC-P71 (cybershot). I had the identical probelm a few months ago. I don't recall which forum I went to for help (I think it was here). I'm on vacation and don't have access to my computer.
anyway, I was told that an XP update changed the registry and some other stuff (I'm not a techie). But one of the fixes they asked me to make was to change the NoDriveTypeAutoRun. It wasn't 91 hex. Once I changed it, the Camera Wizard loaded automatically when the PC detect the camera.
My father-in-law has the identical problem. His NoDriveTypeAutoRun is 91 hex. The forum had told me to do several things but I don't recall what else.
Thanks
Steve

#4 TheSentinel

TheSentinel

The man in the dark

• General Admin
  • 24,854 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 11:45 PM

Ok Steve :)

If you're sure that this problem has to do with one of the latest MS updates.

If it's not an urgent case... I'll have a closer look at the MS TechNet Base.
Will take some time but I'll post the results here asap, ok?

Ciaooo

B. Udo

#5 slkc2832

slkc2832

• 6 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 11:48 PM

thanks much. any help is appreciated.

#6 Hunter

Hunter

The Flying Dutchman

• General Admin
  • 12,474 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 11:57 PM

Have you by any chance put microsoft windows media Hot fix on. If you have it might have caused the problem. Remove it out of programs,if that don't work you can always re-install from update.

see this link and it will help also
:thumb:

http://www.experts-e...Q_20942805.html

#7 TheSentinel

TheSentinel

The man in the dark

• General Admin
  • 24,854 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 11:59 PM

I hope this solution may help Steve

Why doesn’t AutoPlay work on my card reader or digital camera anymore?

A. 

Normally, if you place storage media in a card reader, or plug in a Universal Serial Bus (USB) mass-storage device (such as a digital camera), AutoPlay recognizes that the storage contains digital images and allows the user to select the Scanners and Cameras Wizard. If AutoPlay has been disabled, however, you can’t use the wizard at all, because AutoPlay is the only way to get access to these devices.
To turn AutoPlay on manually by changing the following registry key back to its default

Click Start, Run, and type regedit.

Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT USER_\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Policies\Explorer.

Click the Explorer folder, and the value in the right pane, NoDriveTypeAutoRun, should be a REG_DWORD with the value 0x00000091 (145 decimal).

To edit the DWORD value, double-click the value and make the necessary changes in the Edit DWORD Value box.

You may need to have an administrator account on your computer to make changes to the registry.

Warning: Incorrectly editing the registry may severely damage your system. At the very least, you should back up any valued data on the computer before making changes to the registry.

Enable Autoplay with TweakUI

Download the updated Windows XP PowerToys

Open TweakUI.

Click My Computer, click AutoPlay, then click Types.

Select Enable Autoplay for removable drives.

Source:
http://www.microsoft...faq/default.asp

#8 Hunter

Hunter

The Flying Dutchman

• General Admin
  • 12,474 posts

Posted 30 May 2004 - 12:06 AM

looks like we have it covered now Wave.gif

27 - When I connect my digital camera to my computer the Camera and Scanner Wizard no longer runs.
Start the Registry Editor and expand Hkey_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\ Windows\Currentversion\Policies. Select the Explorer folder and check that the value NoDriveTypeAutoRun is of type Re_Dword and has a value of 0x00000091. If it's the wrong type, delete the value, then use the fixautorun.reg file to recreate it.
Connect the camera. If the wizard doesn't start, open My Computer, right-click your digital camera, click Properties and select the Events tab. Select event 'Device connected' and action 'Start this program: Microsoft Scanner and Camera Wizard'. If your camera is listed as a removable drive, select the AutoPlay tab, select Pictures from the dropdown menu then select the action 'Copy pictures to a folder using the Scanner and Camera Wizard'.

#9 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2004 - 03:36 PM

I have exactly the same problem and the micosoft fix of the registers made no difference as mine were set as they should be.

I have tried a checkpoint restore that didnt work.

I tried creating a new user with admin status, that did work but after two weeks and a transfer of all my files and inputting various program settings, the wizard stopped working again grrrrrr. I have now gone back to my original user but still without any wizard.

#10 Guest_Dan Bradley_*

Guest_Dan Bradley_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2004 - 01:46 AM

Well, I had this problem, read every post, nothing seemed to work, but I think I licked it tonight.

When a digital camera gets added, XP tries to add it as a "Removable Drive". Windows will pick a drive letter for you after your fixed drives. For example, if you open your "My Computer", you'll see a C:\ drive (your hard drive), and perhaps a D:\ drive (your CD Drive). Windows will then pick E:\ as your Removable Drive. Well, as luck would have it, I mapped E:\ as a network drive. Oddly, I'd get camera and scanner wizard to pop up after a reboot once, but never again until a reboot. After removing this mapping, things worked beautifully.

Credit goes to my wife for figuring this out.

#11 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2004 - 01:56 AM

I have researched this issue spending countless hours trying to figure out why the XP Scanner and Camera Wizard's autoplay feature does not work when I insert a camera memory card into my Fuji FinePix DPC-R1 Card Reader. It worked earlier this year. I had not taken pictues until a few months ago and then the autoplay feature quit on me. Even Fuji has no clue. Then...I got a break! I setup a new user account and discovered that it worked. So, I figured I had a corrupt user profile. No new account worked fine until...bam...same problem! I new I was on to something because I ran 3 programs between the time it worked and did not work. I ruled out two of them, Spybot and Spyblaster. Then it dawned on me I sent a song file to a friend of mine and played the mp3 song before I sent the file. For my computer at least, walla... the envelope please....the curlprit is: REAL PLAYER!!! Even Version 10 caused the problem. I simply removed the program with Control Panel\Add or Remove Programs and the Camera Wizard's autoplay feature started to work again. For playing music, Microsoft's Media Player and Apple iTunes worked fine without interferring with the autoplay feature. I hope this solved the problem for all of those who have this problem...and there must be a lot of them. Good luck and please let me know if this help.

Robert Abrams
robert_abrams@-----.net

Note: E-Mail address removed to stop spamming to your address.

Edited by Hunter, 05 January 2005 - 05:55 PM.

#12 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2004 - 03:34 AM

QUOTE (Guest @ Jun 28 2004, 01:56 AM)
I have researched this issue spending countless hours trying to figure out why the XP Scanner and Camera Wizard's autoplay feature does not work when I insert a camera memory card into my Fuji FinePix DPC-R1 Card Reader. It worked earlier this year. I had not taken pictues until a few months ago and then the autoplay feature quit on me. Even Fuji has no clue. Then...I got a break! I setup a new user account and discovered that it worked. So, I figured I had a corrupt user profile. No new account worked fine until...bam...same problem! I new I was on to something because I ran 3 programs between the time it worked and did not work. I ruled out two of them, Spybot and Spyblaster. Then it dawned on me I sent a song file to a friend of mine and played the mp3 song before I sent the file. For my computer at least, walla... the envelope please....the curlprit is: REAL PLAYER!!! Even Version 10 caused the problem. I simply removed the program with Control Panel\Add or Remove Programs and the Camera Wizard's autoplay feature started to work again. For playing music, Microsoft's Media Player and Apple iTunes worked fine without interferring with the autoplay feature. I hope this solved the problem for all of those who have this problem...and there must be a lot of them. Good luck and please let me know if this help.

Robert Abrams
robert_abrams@-----.net

Note: E-Mail address removed to stop spamming to your address.

wow, i would have never guessed that real was causing the problems (esp since i dont even use the program) and if it hadnt been for your post here, i would have been stuck on the problem for days, hell i probibly would have never figured it ouf had i not read this msg board. thanks.

-danN

#13 Guest_Bouncer_*

Guest_Bouncer_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2004 - 12:51 PM

[B]Hi! Many thanks Robert Abrams!!! I've removed Real Player and now the camera and fax wizard is behaving beautifully - what a relief. So glad you replied with this help. Cheers!
Bouncer x

#14 Hunter

Hunter

The Flying Dutchman

• General Admin
  • 12,474 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 04:04 PM

For people having this real player problem..in your preferences on the player..what media types do you allow it to play..I think if you only allow it to take over only its own Real Audio and Video and then nothing else to play the rest of the media type files ..that might help.

I remember when real player when installed on a PC would take over all kinds of files even gif and mp3 etc if you did not set it up to do otherwise.

#15 Guest_XJW_*

Guest_XJW_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2004 - 04:18 PM

Wave.gif
Many Thanks to Robert Abrams!

I encounted the same problem, and it troubled me so long a time! I tried every way I could, and uninstalled some doubtful software, but all of them failed. I never doubt that RM is the Bug! Maybe only the new version 10? Because I remembered that I had installed RM before that problem happened, just after I upgraded RM to 10, it came out, maybe, since I am not sure the exact time. Anyway, RM is the trouble. I hope it (the answer) can be known by others who get the same trouble as many as possible, that's one of the reasons I reply this post again. But most important, Thanks again!