27 replies to this topic

#16 TheSentinel

TheSentinel

The man in the dark

• General Admin
  • 24,636 posts

Posted 01 August 2004 - 05:06 AM

Heya stidyup

here the "how 2 do guide". All shown steps here are for a Dell Latitude C6xx but are unique for nearly all notebooks. For that case some shown steps may vary.

Note: Everything shown here are at your own risk!!

First make sure that you have:
  • 2 screwdrivers, one cross-slotted screw-driver and a normal screwdriver
  • A piece of paper and a small tin for collecting screws and other stuff
  • A small towel or something like that
  • enough coffee or tea

First open then notebook bend the display (top) that display and mainboard are in a horizontal line. Put the towel under the top for equalizing the height of the rest of the notebook.

Then locate the places where are the adhesive stoppers at the display holding frame:

Collect these stoppers and later the screws in a small tin:

#17 TheSentinel

TheSentinel

The man in the dark

• General Admin
  • 24,636 posts

Posted 01 August 2004 - 05:08 AM

Part 2

When you have removed all Phillips screws which are connecting the front display frame with the bottom stick a normal screwdriver between the top frame and bottom frame and separate them carefully. Both frames have razorsharp corners and plastic noses! So take care of your fingers and hands.

Putting something between the already separated frames can be helpful:

#18 TheSentinel

TheSentinel

The man in the dark

• General Admin
  • 24,636 posts

Posted 01 August 2004 - 05:11 AM

Part 3

This step shows you how to remove the LCD display. When you have suceeded with separateing the top display frame have a look around the aluminium frame and locate the display fixing screws. Remove them.

Note: This screws needs some power to get moved!

Finally the LCD display is free to get moved.

#19 TheSentinel

TheSentinel

The man in the dark

• General Admin
  • 24,636 posts

Posted 01 August 2004 - 05:12 AM

Part 4

Now put a huge piece of paper or a dishcloth at the keyboard and lay te LCD display down on it. You will see a circuit-board conductor which connects the display with the electronics of the mainboard:

Next step is to remove the high frequency electronic at the bottom of the display.

#20 TheSentinel

TheSentinel

The man in the dark

• General Admin
  • 24,636 posts

Posted 01 August 2004 - 05:14 AM

Part 5

If you don't wanna mount a new LCD display, you must remove the circuit-board conductor from the mainboard.

For that you must remove the keyboard. There's a covering panel with the power on button which must get removed. Best you start from the right side inserting a small screwdriver and carefully separate this panel. Be aware it will take lot of time cause there are lot of staples giving hold.

Close the notebook with the removed LCD display. Lay it upside down and check for the placed where the keyboard is fixed with the main board. The places for that fixing screws have a "K in a circle".

Remove the screws and after that step you can lift the keyboard. Be careful cause there are more circuit-board conductors which are plugged in weakly.

Remove the circuit-board conductor which leads to the LCD display:

Now your notebook is LCD less. You can use it now with an external monitor and perhaps external keyboard and mouse. I've proofed this after this LCD display removing workshop.. :-)

Greetz
B. Udo

#21 stidyup

stidyup

Is GSF inventory

• Charter Members
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 01 August 2004 - 08:30 PM

Thanks a lot, I'll have a go next week.

I'll post back as to how it went and if I burnt down the dept :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If seems straight forward, the laptop doesn't function as it is really so if it goes pearshaped it'll be no great loss.

:thumb: :thumb: Wave.gif

#22 stidyup

stidyup

Is GSF inventory

• Charter Members
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 09:30 AM

Hi TheSentinel

I've successfully removed the LCD following your instructions :thumb: my only question now is how long would it take to burst into flames if I've done it wrong??? rolleyes.gif

I have removed the power cable for the LCD I'm just wondering how long it would take before I get a bonfire if anything's gone wrong.....

Thanks for all the info and the pics, very good info. Wave.gif

#23 TheSentinel

TheSentinel

The man in the dark

• General Admin
  • 24,636 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 03:47 PM

Hi stidyup

Thanks for all the info and the pics, very good info.

YW. Was interesting for me too, cause these kind of Dell notebooks are rather new in our company but we got tired to call up the Dell support, always hearing their monotype answers "We have to ask our super visor if we can do a complete change of the whole notebook". And we always know the answer in advance.. a simple "Not possible".

I have removed the power cable for the LCD I'm just wondering how long it would take before I get a bonfire if anything's gone wrong.....

If you've removed the display like adviced, there's nothing to fear. I've started it up after that remove connected with an external monitor and after 4 hours we couldn't call the other mates for a BBQ *ROFL*.

Have a great day
B. Udo

#24 Guest_Roninwar_*

Guest_Roninwar_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2004 - 02:45 AM

TheSentinel:
thanks for the photos and explanations.
i have a variation to stidup's problem: there are scratches on my screen current dell c610. I think i can get another screen off a dead dell c610 so i was wondering do i have to go through the same steps to replace this screen or is it simpler?

#25 TheSentinel

TheSentinel

The man in the dark

• General Admin
  • 24,636 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 03:34 AM

Hello Roninwar

I am sorry but thats the only way to change a Dell C610 LCD display.

Regards
B. Udo

#26 Guest_Roninwar_*

Guest_Roninwar_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2004 - 01:34 AM

even if I wanted to just switch the entire cover/screen combination? darn - going through all that you went through seems pretty intense - for me anyway. Wish I could just take the hinges off the darn thing and switch them.

thanks again

#27 SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 04:47 PM

I gave this a shot with some old dells i picked up from a surplus store and my first attempt was an epic fail. no flames though!

#28 TheSentinel

TheSentinel

The man in the dark

• General Admin
  • 24,636 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 07:31 PM

.. but it has been proofed with lot of other Dell notebooks. Depends on the series, model and experiences you have. That's only an example here and does show some principles of changing a TFT panel of a notebook.

Regards
TheSentinel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users