October 2018 Security Updates
Release Date: October 09, 2018
The October security release consists of security updates for the following software:
- Internet Explorer
- Microsoft Edge
- Microsoft Windows
- Microsoft Office and Microsoft Office Services and Web Apps
- .NET Core
- SQL Server Management Studio
- Microsoft Exchange Server
Please note the following information regarding the security updates:
- Customers runnning Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2 need to ensure they have Servicing Stack Update (SSU) 3177467 installed before installing the October 2018 security updates, to avoid a failure to install. See Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 3177467 for more information about this SSU.
- Windows 10 updates are cumulative. The monthly security release includes all security fixes for vulnerabilities that affect Windows 10, in addition to non-security updates. The updates are available via the Microsoft Update Catalog.
- Starting in March 2017, a delta package will be available on the Microsoft Update Catalog for Windows 10 version 1607 and newer. This delta package contains just the delta changes between the previous month and the current release.
- Updates for Windows RT 8.1 and Microsoft Office RT software are only available via Windows Update.
- For information on lifecycle and support dates for Windows 10 operating systems, please see Windows Lifecycle Facts Sheet.
- In addition to security changes for the vulnerabilities, updates include defense-in-depth updates to help improve security-related features.
The following CVEs have FAQs with additional information and may include * further steps to take after installing the updates.