1 reply to this topic

#1 TheSentinel

TheSentinel

The man in the dark

• General Admin
  • 31,812 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:54 PM

Tim Berners-Lee: Tell Facebook, Google you want your data back

The father of the World Wide Web says having all that data could have "tremendous potential to help humanity."
by Don Reisinger | April 18, 2012 8:38 AM PDT

Tim Berners-Lee, known as the father of the World Wide Web, says Internet users should demand all of their inaccessible data from Facebook, Google, and every other major Web site.

"One of the issues of social networking silos is that they have the data and I don't," Berners-Lee told The Guardian in an interview published today. "There are no programs that I can run on my computer which allow me to use all the data in each of the social networking systems that I use plus all the data in my calendar plus in my running map site, plus the data in my little fitness gadget and so on to really provide an excellent support to me."

To Berners-Lee, technology has the unique ability to understand more about its users than we might give it credit for. He pointed to his smartphone, which, by sitting in his pocket, knows "how much exercise I've been getting and how many stairs I've been walking up and so on." He also told The Guardian that his habits on his computer indicate his health and places he's been.

Please read more about: http://news.cnet.com...your-data-back/

#2 TheSentinel

TheSentinel

The man in the dark

• General Admin
  • 31,812 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:08 PM

In addition please have a look at:

Tim Berners-Lee: Demand your data from Facebook, Google, Twitter

By Emil Protalinski | April 18, 2012, 7:49am PDT

Summary: World Wide Web inventor Tim Berners-Lee believes Internet users need to realize the value of the data Internet giants like Facebook, Google, and Twitter have on them, and demand to have it.

http://www.zdnet.com...le_skin;content