VLC Media Player 3.0.4 'Vetinari'
Posted 22 June 2010 - 11:24 AM
The media player that fills all your needs. It can handle DVDs, (S)VCDs, Audio CDs, web streams, TV cards and much more.
VLC is a free and open source cross-platform multimedia player and framework that plays most multimedia files as well as DVD, Audio CD, VCD, and various streaming protocols. A project and a non-profit organization, composed of volunteers, developing and promoting free, open-source multimedia solutions.
VLC engine relicensed to LGPL
As previously stated, VideoLAN worked on the relicensing of libVLC and libVLCcore: the VLC engine.
We are glad to announce that this process is now complete for VLC 1.2. Thanks a lot for the support.
Posted 18 October 2012 - 04:23 PM
# Audio Output:
* Improve playback synchronization with PulseAudio.
* Fix ALSA digital pass-through ("S/PDIF").
* Fix live audio device selection on Mac OS X
* Fix detection of some 5.1 and 7.1 kits on Windows.
* Fix audio output behavior when the output device is plugged or unplugged during playback on Mac OS X
* Fix numerous DVD (dvdnav) crashes
* Fix HTTP playback through proxy and advertise gzip correctly
* Fix TLS busy-loop during client-side handshake
* Support for Opus decoding via libopus, including multi-channel files
* Support MSS1 and MSS2 decoding through DMO libraries
* Fix Hebrew and Greek subtitles encoding
* Fix crashes on malformed subtitles and malformed png files
* Fix crashes when using hardware decoding
* Fix issues in Ogg with zero length packets
* Fix file duration of Ogg/Theora and Ogg/Vorbis files
* Fix vimeo, koreus and youtube lua parsers
* Support Youtube live streams
* Fix Wallpaper mode on Windows 7/8
* Fix media info dialog update
* Fix random/repeat preferences saving
* Fix crashes when opening audio effects dialog, with skins and playlist
* Fix crash on association dialog on Windows XP
* Fix album art display at start
# Mac OS X:
* Fix command-line options to control the interface behavior
* Deactivate CoreAnimation effects on Leopard
* Fix menus display and behavior
* Fix various crashes and small issues including bookmarks, playlist, buttons, streaming wizard, video size, hotkeys and fullscreen controller
* Fix font selection for Unicode subtitles
* Improve system sleep behavior when playing audio-only media. The screen is allowed to sleep while the system is kept awake during playback.
* Fix code signing of Delete Preferences application
* Add option to Audio Effects panel to activate the Karaoke filter
* Fix Notify (D-Bus) plugin deadlock.
* Fix buffer corruption in freetype and subtitles modules
* Improve Blu-Ray and HLS support
* Fix issues on selection of playlist items for WebUI
* Codec and other 3rd party library updates
* Fix swscale and canvas behavior with Aspect Ratio
* Fix mime-type when streaming Webm over HTTP
* Fix recording behaviour in Windows network environments
* Codecs and 3rd party libary updates
* Updates of Norwegian Bokmål, Korean, Slovak, Serbian, Russian, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese, Portuguese, Walloon, Turkish, Thai, Polish, Dutch, Khmer, Hindi, Japanese, Galician, Hebrew, German, Breton, Scottish Gaelic, Czech, Estonian translations
* Initial translations for Bengali, Fula, Gujarati and Bosnian
Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:34 PM
VLC 2.0.5 "Twoflower" is an important update to our 2.0 media player.
VideoLAN and the VLC development team are happy to present the sixth version of "Twoflower", a minor update that improves the overall stability.
Notable changes include improved reliability for MKV file playback, fixed MPEG2 audio and video encoding, pulseaudio synchronization, Mac OS interface, and other fixes. It also resolves potential security issues in HTML subtitle parser, freetype renderer, AIFF demuxer and SWF demuxer.
More info in the release notes.
We would like to remind our users that some VideoLAN team members are trying to raise money for VLC for Windows Metro on Kickstarter.
Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:38 PM
VLC 2.0.6 - 2013-04-11
quote: VideoLAN and the VLC development team are happy to present the seventh version of "Twoflower", a minor update that improves the overall stability.
Notable changes include support for Matroska v4, improved reliability for ASF, Ogg, ASF and srt support, fixed GPU decoding on Windows on Intel GPU, fixed ALAC and FLAC decoding, and a new compiler for Windows release.
More info in the the release notes.
• 2.0.6 is an important update that fixes some regressions of the 2.0.x branch of VLC.
• 2.0.6 introduces support for Matroska v4 files.
• 2.0.6 also introduces an important number of fixes for MKV, Ogg, AVI, WMV, HTTPS and subtitles support. Fixes FLAC 6.1/7.1, ALAC, and Intel HD 2000/3000 GPU decoding on Windows are also present.
• 2.0.6 also improves the Mac OS X, the D-Bus and MPRIS2 interfaces.
• 2.0.6 uses a new compiler for Windows version, done by the MinGW-w64 project.
• With faster decoding on multi-core, GPU, and mobile hardware and the ability to open more formats, notably professional, HD and 10bits codecs, 2.0 was a major upgrade for VLC.
More information about this release
Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:58 PM
VLC Media Player 2.0.7
VideoLAN and the VLC development team are happy to present the eighth version of "Twoflower", a minor update that improves the overall stability.
Notable changes include fixes for audio decoding, audio encoding, small security issues, regressions fixes for PowerPC, MacOS X and new translations.
More info in the release notes.
Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:20 AM
VideoLAN and the VLC development team are happy to present VLC 2.0.8, a security update to the "Twoflower" family, and VLC 2.1.0-pre2, the second pre-version of VLC 2.1.0. You can find info about 2.0.8 in the release notes.
VLC 2.1.0-pre2 is a test version of the next major version of VLC, named "Rincewind", intended for advanced users.
Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:01 AM
VLC Media Player 2.1.0
VideoLAN and the VLC development team are glad to present the new major version of VLC, 2.1.0, named RinceWind
With a new audio core, hardware decoding and encoding, port to mobile platforms, preparation for Ultra-HD video and a special care to support more formats, 2.1 is a major upgrade for VLC.
Rincewind has a new rendering pipeline for audio, with better effiency, volume and device management, to improve VLC audio support.
It supports many new devices inputs, formats, metadata and improves most of the current ones, preparing for the next-gen codecs.
More info on our release page.
Posted 14 November 2013 - 04:41 PM
: VideoLAN and the VLC development team are proud to present the first minor version of the VLC 2.1.x branch.
Fixing a numerous number of bugs and regressions introduced in 2.1.0, it also adds experimental HEVC and VP9 decoding and improves VLC installer on Windows.
More info on our release page
Posted 12 December 2013 - 03:43 AM
VLC 2.1.2 is the second minor version of our popular media player "Rincewind".
- 2.1.2 fixes numerous bugs, notably numerous regressions introduced in "RinceWind".
- Important fixes involve Audio devices management and SPDIF on Windows and Mac OS X.
2.1.2 also improves the Windows installer and updates most translations.
See the changelog for more information.
Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:00 PM
VLC 2.1.3 is the third minor version of our popular media player "Rincewind".
VideoLAN and the VLC development team are happy to present a new minor version of the VLC 2.1.x branch.
Fixing multiple bugs and regressions introduced in 2.1.0, 2.1.1 and 2.1.2, notably on audio and video outputs, decoders and demuxers
• With the capabilities of "RinceWind", 2.1.3 fixes numerous bugs, and improves decoders, notably for the new formats (HEVC and VP9)
• 2.1.3 fixes numerous bugs, notably numerous regressions introduced in "RinceWind" and 2.1.2.
•Important fixes involve Audio and Video output management on most platforms.
• 2.1.3 also improves the demuxer and decoders for most formats, and the various interfaces.
More info on our release page.
Posted 02 March 2015 - 10:16 PM
VLC Media Player 2.2.0 released!
VideoLAN and the VLC development teams are proud to publish a major new release of VLC.
The 2.2.0 release of VLC media player for the desktop is coordinated, for the first time ever, with releases on iOS, Android (including Android TV), WinRT (Windows RT and x86) and Windows Phone. VLC runs everywhere!
Those releases are the result of more than one year of volunteer work, add numerous new features, fix more than one thousand bugs and improves the scope of the formats supported.
The releases on all the platforms share the same core to support video and audio formats, named libVLC: VLC plays everything!
So, what's new in VLC 2.2.0, codename WeatherWax?
- Fight the popular vertical video syndrome! VLC automatically detects rotated videos and rotates them using hardware acceleration (on compatible platforms)!
- This is supported for MP4/MOV, MKV and raw H264.
- Resume playback where you left off. Supported on all the mobile versions of VLC for quite some time, it is now available on the desktop.
- Vastly improved support for UltraHD video codecs like VP9 and H265, including encoding.
- New hardware acceleration mechanism, GPU 0-copy decoding, faster and implementations for Linux, Android, and Raspberry Pi. (Other OSes will have it in 3.0.0)
- Extensions: supported since a long time, we now feature an in-app downloader for the desktop, like Firefox
- Subtitles downloading extension
- Compatibility with a very large number of unusual codecs
- Vastly improved compatibility for problematic files in Ogg, MP4, and WMV.
- Support for Digital Cinema Package to play native movie theater formats.
- Experimental support of Interactive Menus of BluRays: BD-J
- On OS X, we've updated the interface for Yosemite compatibility.
- On Android, we rewrote most of the UI to match Google Material Design.
- This is the first public beta releases for Windows Phone, Windows RT and Android TV.
- It is also the first non-beta release on Android.
This is made possible through a lot of improvements of the VLC engine, the libVLC library, which starts showing its maturity and solidity.
Therefore, today, we release:
- VLC media player 2.2.0
- VLC for iOS 2.4.1
- VLC for Android 1.1.0
- VLC for Android TV 1.1.0
- VLC for WinRT 1.1.0
- VLC for Windows RT 1.1.0 Beta
- VLC for Windows Phone 1.1.0 Beta
We hope that you like our new release as much as we do and we are looking forward to answer any question you might have.
More info - VLC 2.2.0 multi-releases
VLC 2.2.0 - download.
Posted 03 May 2016 - 06:01 PM
VLC-IconSmall_40px.png 4.07KB 0 downloads VLC Media Player 2.2.3
"VideoLAN and the VLC development team are happy to publish version 2.2.3 of VLC media player today
This third stable release of the "WeatherWax" version of VLC fixes more than 30 important bugs reported on VLC 2.2.2. It also includes updated codecs libraries and fixes 3rd party libraries security issues.
- Notable number of improvements, like green lines in the Windows video output and resuming where you left off.
- It also improves our codec support by adding new formats and providing faster decompression.
- More than 30 fixes for issues reported for 2.2.2.
- You can finally open more than 15 elements from the Windows' Explorer.
Posted 05 June 2016 - 05:52 PM
VLC 2.2.4 is the fourth bugfix release of the "Weatherwax" branch of our popular media player.
"VideoLAN and the VLC development team are happy to publish version 2.2.4 of VLC media player today
This fourth stable release of the "WeatherWax" version of VLC fixes a few bugs reported on VLC 2.2.3 for Windows XP and certain audio files. It also includes updated codecs libraries and fixes a security issue when playing specifically crafted QuickTime files as well as a 3rd party security issue in libmad. Read more about it on our release page."
- Fix crash in G.711 wav files
- Fix mp3 crash in libmad
- Fix out-of-bound write in adpcm QT IMA codec (CVE-2016-5108)
- Fix overlay creation on Windows XP for DirectDraw video output
- Improve compilation support for GNU/HURD
- Minor UI improvements for the Qt interface on Windows, Linux, BSD,
Posted 13 May 2017 - 05:32 AM
VideoLAN and the VLC development team are happy to publish version 184.108.40.206 of VLC media player today.
This fifth stable release of the "WeatherWax" version of VLC fixes a few bugs reported on VLC 2.2.4, notably video rendering issues on AMD graphics card as well as audio distortion on macOS and 64bit Windows for certain audio files. It also includes updated codecs libraries and improves overall security.
- Fix green line rendering on Windows with AMD drivers
- Fix mp3 playback regression on macOS and 64bit Windows leading to distortion for some media
- Fix screenshots size
- Improved lua scripts for various websites
- Various security improvements in demuxers and decoders
- Security hardening for DLL hijacking environments
- Fix scrolling sensitivity on Sierra
- Fix screen recording on Windows