Photo

Newbie Internet Security Suite Questions

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 CassilineKnight08

CassilineKnight08

• 4 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 09:51 PM

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forums. I just purchased a sony vaio laptop and I'm trying to decide on which program I should purchase for my laptop. I spent good money on it and I don't want to risk it being infected and ultimately dying on me.

I'll be downloading music once in a while on this laptop using Ares or a torrent client. I also do a lil gaming on it once in a while. I watch movies on it as well.

Right now I have the Webroot AntiVirus with AntiSpyware trial on my computer. IF I purchased the full version of that would that be enough to totally protect my Laptop? Or should I get that PLUS another program such as McAfee or Norton? Also what are your opinions on Webroot? Is it decent? Is it a waste of money when I could buy Norton, McAfee, or any of the other major programs which would do the same thing?

Besides that my main question is what is the best program out there? I'm not a huge expert on computers, etc and I don't want something that will drive me crazy or make me confused. At the same time I don't want a program that will hog all my computers resources.

The Top 5 I'm considering are:

1) McAfee
2) BitDefender
3) Norton
4) Trend Micro
5) Kaspersky

I did some research on my own and it seems like a lot of people and major websites like cNet prefer Kaspersky and BitDefender. My only problem with the former is that I found it hard to get in touch with people so I could help regarding their product and some information. Then I found out its based in Russia so that moved it toward the bottom of my list.

As for Norton I've heard its a resource hog but my mother just bought her own new computer with Windows Vista on it and it came with Norton. So far it hasn't given either of us any problems. Other than the dark and depressing interface it seems to be doing a fine job.

Anyways I'm really confused and I'd appreciate any guidance on this matter. I would have loved to wait until this fall when the new versions will roll out for each company but I don't want to risk my computer being infected before then.

Thanks.

#2 Chachazz

Chachazz

Is GSF inventory

• General Admin
  • 36,503 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 10:20 PM

Hi Cassiline (again) hello.gif

Supposing you are running Windows Vitsta?

The Windows firewall is adequate, unless you prefer some other.

You might want to look into a HIPS/IDS, run with a capable, lightweight anti-virus (almost all have antispyware detections) and a safer browser (Firefox with Adblock Plus and NoScript or a gecko-based browser or Opera).

There's so much to choose from - we host support forums for DefenseWall HIPS; hands down it's one of the better, if not best HIPS (host intrusion prevention) available. See the SoftSphere Technologies Support Forums forums. There is a good explanation why you may wish to use DefenseWall HIPS on the author's website.

As to specific needs for gamers, others may have some suggestions.

#3 CassilineKnight08

CassilineKnight08

• 4 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 10:29 PM

Hey just read your post in other thread?

So you're saying that I should NOT use both Webroot and McAfee right?

Also I'm not looking for someone to make up my mind for me. I just want to see other users experiences?

Also I don't think Window's firewall is enough. I've already had a few infections on it that Windows did nothing to prevent from occurring.

So I want to get a program that will do an excellent job...

Do you have any opinions on any of the 6 programs I listed above?

Again I'm considering

1) McAfee
2) BitDefender
3) Norton
4) Kaspersky
5) Trend Micro
6) Webroot Antivirus with AntiSpyware

#4 Nebon

Nebon

Is GSF inventory

• 1,456 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 10:37 PM

Hi Cassiline,

Welcome to GSF. We have an AntiVirus & Personal Security Suites forum that you may wish to have a look at. We also have a Firewall & Router forum. As said by Chachazz we also host support forums for DefenseWall HIPS. It is an excellent program with some of the best support I have seen on the web. When users have errors they are submitted to the Developer (Ilya Rabinovich) and he provides a fix, usually within hours.

There is also usually no 'best' program as such and each has its perks. Mostly AV's are down to personal preference. If you wish to compare AV's you can go to http://www.av-comparatives.org/ which compares AV's by detection rates.

In my personal opinion Norton is a resources hog but it is one of the most popular AV's (based on sales).

Have a great day
Nebon

#5 CassilineKnight08

CassilineKnight08

• 4 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 10:44 PM

So basically no one on this wqebsite has any concrete views or experiences with ANY of the programs listed above...?

Well that sorta defeats the purpose of registering huh?

#6 Nebon

Nebon

Is GSF inventory

• 1,456 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 10:47 PM

I use AVG myself and zone alarm as my firewall and I have not had an infection for years. However where people get infected is usually based on browsing habits, downloading music can be somewhat dangerous. We try not to bias ourselves towards any particular brand as they all reputable and have their own perks.

Also it is not recommend it if you have more than one antivirus or antispyware program, both with active protection running as they can conflict over control of certain areas of your system.

#7 Hunter

Hunter

The Flying Dutchman

• General Admin
  • 12,477 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 03:01 AM

QUOTE (CassilineKnight08 @ Jun 26 2008, 06:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So basically no one on this wqebsite has any concrete views or experiences with ANY of the programs listed above...?

I have experience with all of them..but not in the habit of recommending any AV products. It is usually user preference. What did you use last time ?

Here is a good poll of users who are happy with what thye are using..

http://www.dslreport...=1#poll19739894

and of course there are test labs that will give you results of their latest comparisons.

All of the ones you listed are good products..some require more skill that other to set up the way you want them to preform..most iimportant no matter which one you you chose would be to read their manual. Most user do not and are then disappointed.

#8 TheSentinel

TheSentinel

The man in the dark

• General Admin
  • 31,817 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 08:53 PM

Hello CassilineKnight08

QUOTE (CassilineKnight08 @ Jun 27 2008, 12:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

and

Hey just read your post in other thread?

So you're saying that I should NOT use both Webroot and McAfee right?

Also I'm not looking for someone to make up my mind for me. I just want to see other users experiences?

First Welcome at GSFs. I have read your replies what my staff members Nebon, Hunter and Chachazz did answer on your request. You might be a newbie here but that does not excuse your bit too offend behaviour, got it? We are friendly to everyone here and we want to get respected and treated the same way like we welcome new members.

First:
We do not here for making up somones mind for something, kay? If you ask for our oppinios, recommendations, hints or whatever you will get an answer what we would do that way. But it's up to you making any final decisions, got it?

Second:
Experiences about a product is not such a good way for making up an own decision. It might give a direction for a decision not more. There are too much different answers and recommendations, so it's more like Hunter said: What was the last product you were running? Did it work fine or why do you want to change that product?

Third:
It's always the same we notice when a newbie joins a forum. They do not take their time to have a closer look about, what was posted and if someone has posted a similar request... or did you check up our forum here before you did start with your request?

So cut down being bit too offend please.

Have a great day
B. Udo Laumann -CEO of Gladiator Security Forums-

#9 wildman

wildman

• Active Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 07:44 PM

OMG.gif

As indicated it is a matter of personal choice. Over the years I have switched a few times (I am dependent upon FREE software). I look at the security related forums and try to get a feel of what the majority says about any product I am considering using. I loved AVG until the new 8.0 version (which I think is a hunk of CRAP). AVAST (Could never EASILY figured out how to schedule an automatic scan and update). AntiVir (Currently using) has no email scan and updates can sometimes be difficult to obtain and slow to download and install however. Whatever works for you is the best.

Thanks
Wildman

#10 TheSentinel

TheSentinel

The man in the dark

• General Admin
  • 31,817 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 08:00 PM

@Wildman

I second your words man. In other cases there are informations available at http://www.av-comparatives.org/ and http://www.av-test.org/

Both links 'd been published here some time ago and need a reasearch here to get em ;)

Have a great day
B. Udo