• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 geministars

geministars

Adv. Member

• Active Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 04:42 AM

After running a Hijack this scan and it is looked over by the experts in the forum, and suggestions are made for removal of items must system restore be disabled? I am unsure when to disable.

Thank You
geministars

#2 Redhat

Redhat

Mr. Marketing

• Charter Members
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 12:18 PM

Usually, you would only be asked to disable system restore if there is malware found in the "snapshot" files.

HTH,
Matt

#3 Hunter

Hunter

The Flying Dutchman

• General Admin
  • 12,477 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 12:59 PM

You are not really disabling System Restore as much as you are cleaning it out and then setting a new restore point since you will be turning it back on if you think you might have a use for that funtions on a WinXP or ME Operating Sysytem.

What is System Restore?

One of the new features of Windows Me and Windows XP is System Restore. This feature, which is enabled by default, is used by Windows to restore files on your computer in case they become damaged. If you experience a problem with your system that is caused by software, System Restore gives you the opportunity to go back to a point where things were working correctly.

Windows XP stores this information in the SYSTEM VOLUME information folder. These folders are updated when the computer restarts.

NOTE: Both the _RESTORE folder in WinME and the System volume information folder in Win XP are marked with the hidden attribute, and, by default, Windows is set to not display such files or folders.

Even after you have found a virus and your AV has cleaned your PC you still might get an indication you still have the virus but it can not be deleted in these folders.

Problem is..the system restore also has a copy of all those virus and trojans that have infected your system. They are in a compressed mode...your ANTIVIRUS knows they are there but can not help you get rid of them, so you must do it manually.

GO TO THE FIRST LINK AND FOLLOW THE SCREEN SHOTS TO GET RID OF THIS IN THE "SYSTEM VOLUME" INFO FOLDER THE SECOND LINK WILL DO IT FOR WIN ME IN THE "_RESTORE FOLDER".

NAME: Disabling System Restore on Windows XP
ALIAS: Disabling Windows XP AutoRestore feature

http://www.europe.f-.../sfc_dis1.shtml

NAME: Disabling System Restore on Windows ME
ALIAS: Disabling Windows ME AutoRestore feature

http://www.europe.f-...s/sfc_dis.shtml

But in all cases you then can reverse the process and turn it back on. Then next time you turn on your PC a new restore point will be established..but this time with out the back up info on the virus or exploit that was on your PC. Why take a chance to have a backup system like restore re-establish with the same expolits you arealdy cleaned off your main system.