• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 nubiwan

nubiwan

• Active Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 11:47 AM

Good Day All

Recently had a Windows 8 HP Pavilion laptop blue screen with error code "unable to mount bootable drive".  Machine is fried.

After several attempts to resurrect the laptop - I gave up and decided to remove the hard drive (TOUGHDRIVE), which basically has my life on it.  :)  Needless to say, it not backed up.

I have a Sabrent SATA bridge cable that lets me view SATA and IDE drives and retrieve data by simply using File Explorer.

The odd time - as in this case - I come across a TOUGHDRIVE that has a GPT Partition that essentially blocks my computer (Windows 10 HP Desktop) from viewing the drive.  My TOUGHDRIVE displays in device manager (it is a Toshiba MQ01ABD075), and displays in Disk Management as Basic type, Healthy (GPT Protective Partition).  But I cannot access the dat in File Explorer.  Does not even register as a drive.  Normal, I trust MBR (Master Boot Record), drives would just pop up as a new Drive F, G etc. in File Explorer.  I can simply copy (Drag and drop) data using File Explorer.

My understanding - I stand to be corrected - is that if I can replace the GPT partition with an MBR partition, I will be able to read the drive.  I want ot know if that is viable first of all.

There are a couple of products EASEUS and MINITOOL (Partiion Wizard) claim to be able to replace the GPT partition with an MBR partition making the drive readable.  Anyone used those in this situaion.

I can rid the partition from the drive using DISKPART, but it essentially wipes the disk clean and I will lose my data/.

Finally, I was able to recover about 500 GB of data from the drive using Pandora File Recovery, and while the files recovered are in separate folders (DOCX, JPEG, PDF, MPEG< etc.) it will take me a month to go through them all, rename them etc.and not sure everything has been recovered in the first place.  For example, my recovery includes about 100 JPEG folders with around 500 images in each folder from (what seems like) every website I have visited in the last 5 years - mixed in with my own personal camera images.  Repeat this for all the folder types, and you can see what I am faced with.  Much easier if I can see the directory tree on the drive and get the essential data I need off the drive.

Has anyone come across this GPT situation and figured out a way to get around it? Please help!!!

Hey, so sorry for the long post.  Wanted to be as concise as possible.  Attached a couple of images as to what I see in Device and Disk Manager.  Drive is there, but cannot read file structure in File Explorer.

Nubiwan

Attached Files

• Attached File  dm2.jpg   83.1KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  dm1.jpg   116.25KB   0 downloads

Edited by nubiwan, 04 May 2018 - 11:54 AM.

#2 TheSentinel

TheSentinel

The man in the dark

• General Admin
  • 31,810 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 06:26 PM

Hello nubiwan

well your request is very special. Personally I do not have any experiences with GPT protected drives.

But there's another major question which needs to get answered first: How can you proof, that the HP Pavilion is your own and all stored data?

Don't get me wrong, but it does sound strange when someome does 'encyrpt' own private drives, when no one else except the owner has access to them?

That's why we at GSFs keep our principle, not to support any unclear requests like that one since GSF was founded.

Did find a hint over at Microsoft  telling that such changes will work only with empty drives....

Sorry, I hope for your understanding

Regards

The Sentinel