Photo

I need advise for my security software.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 vaioman

vaioman

• 3 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 03:33 PM

My laptop will arrive next week and i'm undecided what security software i need.
I download some file using torrent and sometime i go to some place which is pretty dangerous, you know what i mean evilgrin.gif

I also do banking online so I really need to protect my transaction online.

I'm thinking of Avira Premium + Vista Firewall + Defense Wall

Do you think this will be enough or I need to hardened it more?

Vista32
3GB RAM
250GB HDD

#2 TheSentinel

TheSentinel

The man in the dark

• General Admin
  • 31,817 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 10:08 PM

Hi vaioman

Welcome at Gladiator Security Forum. Have fun and enjoy ur little community.

First: I would deny any torrent based software offers. Sharing software from unknown sources has become a high risk more and more. Plus you might get caught when downloading and distributing illegal software.

Your choise looks good, but would go for a bit better AV program like KAV or related program. I would add Threatfire as another good firewall

Regards
B. Udo

#3 vaioman

vaioman

• 3 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 01:00 AM

thank you for welcoming me Sir!

I would deny any torrent based software offers. Sharing software from unknown sources has become a high risk more and more. Plus you might get caught when downloading and distributing illegal software.

do you mean i should not install uTorrent program on my PC?

I'm a little bit confused, i might go back to my previous security KIS2009 + Sandboxie (Paid ver.) + Keyscrambler (free).

I'm thinking of changing this security combo when I experience this problem.... "Login Process has failed to create the security options" .... i blame KIS because this problem happen when I'm doing scanning, it just hang up and appear that "Login Process has failed...." problem. Any advise or information. Thank you again Sir.

#4 Buddel

Buddel

Adv. Sen. Member

• Active Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:39 AM

QUOTE (TheSentinel @ Feb 22 2009, 11:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
First: I would deny any torrent based software offers. Sharing software from unknown sources has become a high risk more and more. Plus you might get caught when downloading and distributing illegal software.

I couldn't agree more. Stay away from such software.

QUOTE (TheSentinel @ Feb 22 2009, 11:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Your choise looks good, but would go for a bit better AV program like KAV or related program. I would add Threatfire as another good firewall

Avira is a decent, top-notch AV, which is at least as good as KAV, but I also think that using a good firewall would be a good idea.

No matter what combo you will end up using - stay away torrent-based software.

HTH
Buddel

#5 TheSentinel

TheSentinel

The man in the dark

• General Admin
  • 31,817 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 11:34 AM

Hi vaioman

I'm a little bit confused, i might go back to my previous security KIS2009 + Sandboxie (Paid ver.) + Keyscrambler (free).

Hmm do you know that there's already virtual keyboard in KIS 2009? So no need to install another related program like Keyscrambler ...
I'm thinking of changing this security combo when I experience this problem.... "Login Process has failed to create the security options" .... i blame KIS because this problem happen when I'm doing scanning, it just hang up and appear that "Login Process has failed...." problem.

Can you become a loittle bit more detailed about that error message? I'm running KIS and Kaspersky products over years now but never got hit by such an error. Kay KAV has had some problems with updates last year but I think we all shouldn't forget that here are human beings working there.

Regards
B. Udo

Addition: If you want to go for more details about your error, please have a look at Kaspersky's forum here: http://forum.kaspersky.com/

#6 vaioman

vaioman

• 3 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 12:30 PM

[quote]Hmm do you know that there's already virtual keyboard in KIS 2009? So no need to install another related program like Keyscrambler ...[quote]

Yes sir, i know that. But the problem is it takes time for that virtual keyboard to enter my username and password compare to Keyscrambler.

[quote]Can you become a loittle bit more detailed about that error message? I'm running KIS and Kaspersky products over years now but never got hit by such an error. Kay KAV has had some problems with updates last year but I think we all shouldn't forget that here are human beings working there.[quote]

not sure, it might be my HDD also, I just run diagnostic to check my HDD and I found out error message. Anyway for almost 2years now, I didn't get any infection problem with KIS on my old PC. I might use KIS and just add Sandboxie for additional protection. I didn't used Virtual Keyboard of KIS but i might try it so that i will have only 2 security software on my new laptop. I dont want to waste more RAM on my new laptop.