Photo

Different Security Programs

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 FFOfficer

FFOfficer

• 2 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 08:12 PM

If abc company has a anti virus program that is rated 5 stars but also has spyware protection and xyz company has a spyware/malware program that is rated 5 stars but also has anti virus protection but not nearly as good as abc, can both programs be installed without encountering problems. Also, if a firewall program is installed, does MS Windows firewall need to be uninstalled.

#2 Chachazz

Chachazz

Is GSF inventory

• General Admin
  • 36,503 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 04:11 AM

Hi FFOfficer, welcome to GSF!

Do your homework, research and make the best choice(s). Why load up a machine with multiple programs? Why install an inferior product? Just cover your bases.

Windows Firewall can't be uninstalled; it's part of the OS.
If you wish to install a third party firewall (highly recommended), disable the Windows Firewall to avoid conflicts and system slowdown.

#3 Dave12

Dave12

• Active Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 08:49 PM

Hi FFOfficer

Still class myself as a Newbie but have picked up the following that may help..

Install one anti-virus program offering realtime protection.
Disable Windows Firewall and add a third part firewall application.
You can install as many anti-spyware applications as you like but only use one for realtime protection.
If you understand what HIPS is use it. Chances are one of the above programs will offer the option.

As you point out many applications offer more than one type of protection, but, also allow you to disable the ones you don't require. So choose the applications that suit you, this may be different to any rankings, and turn off the bits you don't need.

Personally, I use Comodo Firewall (free), AVG Anti-virus (paid), Spyware Terminator Anti-spyware (free) and DefenceWall HIPS (paid but very reasonable!!). My choice but yours may be entirely different.

Last bit of advice from this Newbie is to regularly spend a little time on this Forum. The people here are the most helpful you will find anywhere, but, by learning from others misfortunes you will hopefully never need their help.

Welcome and hope you get as much from Gladiator Security Forum as I have.

#4 FFOfficer

FFOfficer

• 2 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 12:23 AM

Thanks Dave 12
I've had Avast Anti Virus 4.7 (free) for a few years but have now developed some major infections that people on the Avast forums are now working on. Comodo Firewall was already on my mind and I'll install that and disable Windowa Firewall. Am also going to get Spy Sweeper 5.5. Will look into HIPS.
Is Avast Pro worth getting ? ( I'm not worried about paying for it)

#5 Dave12

Dave12

• Active Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 12:48 AM

Hello again.

Have never used Avast myself, but, have a friend who does. He speaks well of it, claims it is light on resource.

Don't see point in normal user going for Pro version unless they really need to run scheduled scans, but, that's an individual choice.

I use AVG because it was recommended to me at the time I decided I had enough of Symantec and, basically, I have never felt the need to change.

Inertia rules OK!

Maybe others out there have more experience with Avast and can add a little input.

By the way, Comodo has HIPS built in, no expert, but, with a little effort put into training seems to work well enough.

Stay safe.

#6 palebale

palebale

• 5 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 04:26 PM

I've also a minor question re: AVG. I'm running the free version of AVG 7.5+, but when I picked up AVG 8, it had gone to a 30-day trial version? Has AVG gotten fully pay?

#7 Chachazz

Chachazz

Is GSF inventory

• General Admin
  • 36,503 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 03:08 AM

See here:

AVG Anti-Virus/ISS v.8.0 released

for more information.