E-mail security

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 alluremake

alluremake

• 10 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 09:11 AM

Hi,

I just received an e-mail with the title, "Delivery notification: Delivery has failed" in my college e-mail account. However, when I open up the e-mail, I find that I did not even send that e-mail in the first place. Could it be that someone jacked into my account and e-mailed it from there or perhaps someone could "use" my e-mail address when he/she writes e-mails?

#2 TheSentinel

TheSentinel

The man in the dark

• General Admin
  • 31,818 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 06:34 PM

Hi alluremake

sure, today everything's possible in our IT World. I do not know if students can surf whereever they want, but if yes, then all kind of infections are possible.
When the officals of the whole IT enviornment didn't (do not) take much care about the security of the whole network, all doors are wide open for problems you've reported about.

Taking care of a complete college network is like searching one single molecule of sugar in the Oceans. You can't have a 100% security of a network, cause it's in the human nature to mess up "things" they haven't to take care about.

So I would suggest to have a talk with the officials being in charge of the whole IT at the campus, how they'll explain you that special issue.

Good luck and I would be happy when you could reply about the final result here

Greetz
B. Udo

#3 alluremake

alluremake

• 10 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 06:50 PM

Is there a general way about this, though? I mean, can people send e-mails with the heading information seem like it's from another person's account (fooling the postmaster) without actually using that person's account?

#4 alluremake

alluremake

• 10 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 08:05 AM

For some reason, after I changed my e-mail account's password, I stopped receiving spam in my e-mails. I was thinking perhaps, maybe my account was being jacked into. If anyone knows the answer to the question I posted above (the last post above), please answer it. Thanks.

#5 TheSentinel

TheSentinel

The man in the dark

• General Admin
  • 31,818 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 12:26 PM

Hi

here an answer for you

http://www.cert.org/...l_spoofing.html

Greetz
B. Udo

QUOTE (alluremake @ Feb 27 2006, 09:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For some reason, after I changed my e-mail account's password, I stopped receiving spam in my e-mails. I was thinking perhaps, maybe my account was being jacked into. If anyone knows the answer to the question I posted above (the last post above), please answer it. Thanks.