Trusted Installer Issues

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 barb2233

barb2233

• Active Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 08:23 PM

Hi, it's been quite a while since I was here requesting help. I have a different computer since before. This computer is an HP and was purchased about 18 months ago.

My problem is, my son did something by typing in netplwiz when he was trying to delete the Microsoft log in that comes up after you try to use the windows ap store on windows 8. After he set up the account for me, I had to log in all the time on my computer, where before I didn't. My husband did not like that at all. So son was trying to delete the problem.

When he did that, my admin rights were taken away and Trusted installer will not let me download anything, run malware programs, update files, change admin rights, go to retore point to fix it or actually even format and do a complete restore on my computer. I have no rights at all.

Do you know if there is any way to fix this issue? Is it a virus or an actual program that has taken over my computer?

Thanks Barb Ross

#2 TheSentinel

TheSentinel

The man in the dark

• General Admin
  • 31,817 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 06:12 AM

Hi Barb

Can you try this please:

1. Restart the computer in Safe mode.
2. reopen netplwiz
3. undue what your son has done before
4. restart
5. you should have your administrated privileges back again

Regards

TS

#3 barb2233

barb2233

• Active Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 04:57 PM

Thanks, I will try that,

Barb

#4 barb2233

barb2233

• Active Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 05:47 PM

Hi, I tried to go into safe mode. I used the shift key plus the restart in the power area, it took me to choices. I chose 4 for safe mode, it eventually just turned the computer off, then  tries 5, F4 and F5 but nothing would let me into the safe mode. Computer would just shut down. Most things I try ask for the administrators password which is the Trusted Installer. I have a flash drive that the store where I bought my computer backed up the computer onto it for me. I haven't yet figured out how to use it or if the Trusted Installer will even let me use it. I put all my extra files onto a separate hard drive to be able to add them back on easy if I can ever regain control of this computer.

Thanks again,

Barb

#5 TheSentinel

TheSentinel

The man in the dark

• General Admin
  • 31,817 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 08:07 PM

Me again Barb

did some more Google search and found an article at MS TechNet about your problem. Give it a try..

Regards

TS

#6 barb2233

barb2233

• Active Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 09:41 PM

Thanks TS. I will go check that out.

Barb

#7 barb2233

barb2233

• Active Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 02:02 PM

I tried all the different things they mentioned, but I am still blocked by the trusted installer.I may have to take the desktop into the Geek squad. Not sure what I can do.

Thanks for trying,

Barb

#8 barb2233

barb2233

• Active Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 11:17 PM

I did get to run MalWarebytes Anti malware, result was nothing found. I tried downloading Gary Utilities and CCleaner, but admin would not let me download these two.

#9 TheSentinel

TheSentinel

The man in the dark

• General Admin
  • 31,817 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 07:28 PM

Me again Barb

that issue is an error, caused by a wrong done and not well thought manipulation of the operating system. any attempts like Maleware Antibytes etc won't help you to get out of the corner. If I am not completely wrong, Windows 8 offers an option called windows 8 restore refresh. All made system changes (!!!) will get undone after all. But I am not that familiar with that option

Greetz

TS

#10 barb2233

barb2233

• Active Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 09:20 PM

Hi TS , thanks for that idea. I will give it a try. Not concerned with a total format as I backed up my programs and things I want to save just in case the computer totally locks me out. They are on a seagate external harddrive. So I am prepared. Windows 8 should come up with a fix as I am finding many issues with this trusted installer on both windows 7 and 8. I never do see where it is resolved.

Thanks again,

Barb

#11 TheSentinel

TheSentinel

The man in the dark

• General Admin
  • 31,817 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 12:58 PM

Hi Barb

A last try, as I got an info from a MVP being busy here. It all does begin with starting into Safe Mode, then

1. Try to turn on the hidden Administrator account if not already done: http://www.wintips.o...ws-8-windows-7/

2. Restart in that Administrator account (no PW necessary as this account is without by default)

3. With that Admin account it should be possible to get into the Control Panel --> Users

4. Giving back your usual used account Admin privileges 
5. Then Turn off Microsoft account; might need to use system admin account http://blogmines.com...t-on-windows-8/ and use desktop in future.
6. Take over ownership is handy to access files locked out to your user account for whatever reason : http://www.howtogeek...eSpeed=noscript

The MVP recommends to swap over to a Classic Shell like http://www.classicshell.net/

I didn't upgrade on Windows 8 nor 8.x but didn't MS offer a way to upgrade / update from 8.0 to 8.1 (less)?

Good luck

TS

#12 TheSentinel

TheSentinel

The man in the dark

• General Admin
  • 31,817 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 08:35 AM

Hi Barb

got aware about that here: http://windows.micro...t-refresh-media

Means all user "owning" a valid licence of Windows 8, 8.1 can get that ISO file for a clean installation. Another source of that information here

Greetz

TS

#13 barb2233

barb2233

• Active Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 05:05 PM

Thanks again  TS. I will check all that out.

Barb

#14 barb2233

barb2233

• Active Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 08:38 PM

Hi TS, I am finding things to try out in that wintips site as I keep clicking on links to follow. The only problem I am having right now is if I need to put computer into safe mode, again the admin box comes up. Safe mode always worked before but seems with windows 8 they don't want you able to fix anything. This is something that should have never happened and Microsoft should send out a patch or whatever to fix it. For me to go into safe mode, I have to go through the msconfig area. This is new also. No longer the F8 or whatever it was. I will keep trying as it isn't affecting anything other than my personal downloads that I have added to the system like java. I am really hoping to avoid a complete reformat if possible and even that isn't going to be easy to do. So far all I have tried has been stopped again by the admin box.

Thanks and if I find a way to fix this, I will let you know as there are many others having the same problem

barb

#15 barb2233

barb2233

• Active Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 09:12 PM

Hi again TS. I have tried to contact Microsoft themselves for help with this issue. I did get them to give me some hints, I tried them but wasn't sure how to do it all. Mostly they wanted me to pay them $99 for a one time fix. Said they had to come onto my computer to fix it. Or pay 149 for a year of help. I really feel this is wrong since its Microsofts fault this has happened. No way should they have something in the workings of a computer that takes away the rights of the person that purchased their system.

They told me to go to services and look for trusted installer. I could not find it in local services. If I find it, I have to make sure it is running. Also said to check windows installer and background, and Intelligent transfer services to make sure they are running. Do you have any idea what they are talking about? If so, and we got this worked out, it would make a lot of people happy.

Thanks,

Barb

I have been more research and found that the trusted installer is also called the Windows Modules Installer. It is set on manual in my settings. The intelligent transfer background I found is running and is on automatic.

Edited by barb2233, 28 November 2014 - 10:03 PM.