The man in the dark

• General Admin
  • 31,817 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:13 PM

Jan 10, 2012 7:57 pm
The Cloud, Day 22: In and Out of the Cloud

By Tony Bradley, PCWorld

30 Days With the Cloud: Day 22

Storing my documents, photos, music, and other data in the cloud is great. During the course of the 30 Days With the Cloud series, though, I have also come across a little problem -- keeping track of whether I am in the cloud, or not.

Cloud service providers have gone to great lengths to seamlessly integrate data into the traditional framework of operating systems and applications. My data is just as accessible and seems to behave the same way whether it is in the cloud or stored locally on my desktop or mobile device.

I use Box to store my documents in the cloud. But, on my PC it just shows up as a folder that I have set as my default for saving documents. Any files I store there are automatically synced to the cloud, and subsequently available on my iPad, Xoom, Kindle Fire, or iPhone.

My music is all stored locally on my PC. Actually, it is stored on an external USB drive connected to my PC -- but it?s local to me. Thanks to Apple?s iCloud, and Amazon Cloud Player, all of that music is also available to me from the cloud to play on my mobile devices.

More about the other days at:
http://www.pcworld.c....html#tk.hp_new