27 replies to this topic

#1 stidyup

stidyup

Is GSF inventory

• Charter Members
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 02:36 PM

Hi

I have a dead LCD screen and I want to know if I can remove the LCD from the laptop and just have it connected to a normal 15" monitor as I want to install fedora and use it to answer my mail on, so it would basically be like a normal PC.

It's a decent laptop so I don't want to bin it if I can use it in this way.

Has anybody done this here?

#2 Hunter

Hunter

The Flying Dutchman

• General Admin
  • 12,477 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 03:09 PM

Give me some details on the maker and model number of this laptop. not knowing for sure just how bad it is "fried' or why it is dead..there usually are plugs in the back where you can also use an external monitor as you know but let's investigate it further.

#3 Hunter

Hunter

The Flying Dutchman

• General Admin
  • 12,477 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 03:17 PM

activating your laptop external monitor port

http://www.boxlight....spreadsheet.asp

Now although this is about a specific product..the tips given also will apply to you in order to get the laptop even close to working with an external.

http://www.boxlight....t/laptopFAQ.asp

#4 TheSentinel

TheSentinel

The man in the dark

• General Admin
  • 31,817 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 05:14 PM

Heya stidyup Wave.gif

I have a dead LCD screen and I want to know if I can remove the LCD from the laptop and just have it connected to a normal 15" monitor as I want to install fedora and use it to answer my mail on, so it would basically be like a normal PC.

It's a decent laptop so I don't want to bin it if I can use it in this way.

Has anybody done this here?

Please correct me If I'm wrong: You want to remove the LCD screen from that laptop using it via an external 15" CRT monitor (=technician call them "cinema for mices"). It should work normally you only have to make sure that the high frequency element which builds up and handles the power support for the LCD panel is diabled properly! Otherwise your laptop will blow up in fire (proofed by me with an Toshiba 4000 XCDT).

What brand is that laptop and what series? If it's a SNI, FuSNI, Toshiba (Tecra, Satellite, Satellite Pro or 46xx series), Dell Latitude or IBM ThinkPad R40 , I think I can help you. I've detailed original IBM manuals and "how-2-do movies" for the ThinkPads... so lemme know.

Cheeers
B. Udo

#5 stidyup

stidyup

Is GSF inventory

• Charter Members
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 08:53 PM

I'm at home, so won't be back at work till Monday to confirm.

It's a Dell Inspiron, I think its a 4100 model from memory, but don't quote me on that.

If it's going to get dangerous I may let our PC Maintenance do it ahah.gif ahah.gif ahah.gif ahah.gif

The backlight has failed, after about 10 secs of it being switch on the LCD just goes dark. ?250 for a new LCD as you can't replace the backlight easily or cheaply even though the light is about ?20.

I've found the instructions for removing the LCD but there's obviously a bit more too it than simply removing it.

#6 stidyup

stidyup

Is GSF inventory

• Charter Members
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 08:38 AM

Hi TheSentinel Wave.gif

It's a Dell Inspiron 4100, my memory was correct.

Hope you can provide the information for me about how to remove the LCD.

#7 TheSentinel

TheSentinel

The man in the dark

• General Admin
  • 31,817 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 03:15 AM

Morning stidyup

you are a lucky one flowerz.gif This week I've to wreck down an old C610 which doesn't work properly. Decision has been made by my teamleader cause he doesn't want to spend any money for a repair by Dell support cause the former owner of this notebook did water it with a full glass of mineral water :)

I'll take photos for each step when wrecking this notebook down, ok? Take a little time cause my working week is filled up with lot of important things to do.

Have a great day
B. Udo

#8 stidyup

stidyup

Is GSF inventory

• Charter Members
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 10:15 AM

Thanks TheSentinel :thumb: :thumb:

That will be a great help ahah.gif ahah.gif ahah.gif

I've found in the past that PC's don't like water, I managed to knock a full cup of tea in one, needless to say it didn't work afterwards and needed to be fixed.

#9 TheSentinel

TheSentinel

The man in the dark

• General Admin
  • 31,817 posts

Posted 22 July 2004 - 04:58 PM

Heya stidyup

a short status about operation "How 2 remove a notebook LCD Display".
Today I've gotten the official ok from ma boss to do that pictured guide next week.

You mentioned a watered keyboard... well I wanna tell you a stroy which happend 2 years ago in our company. A workmate had poured a full glass of a Coke / mineral water in the keyboard of his notebook. He was clever and turned it upside down to get the liquid out of it.

Then he has had another "clever" idea how to remove all liquid..... using a hair drier running at the hightest possible setting. For the first time it did look that he would succeed but... after 15-20 minutes intensive drying efforts the keyboard did start to bend off at all sides from the frame it was assembled in. :)

This "clever idea" was rather expensive cause the repair costs came ~ 900 Euros

Oki doki...til next week with the pictured guide here :)

Byee
B. Udo

#10 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2004 - 06:55 PM

Cheers for helping, next week it is then.

It was a normal PC I knocked the tea into :unsure: :unsure: I just took the PC apart, mopped up all the tea, got rid of the stains with alco wipes then rang the IT helpdesk up the following morning and told them the motherboard had failed, which in all honesty it had I just didn't tell them how it had failed. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

#11 stidyup

stidyup

Is GSF inventory

• Charter Members
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 07:29 AM

Oops, must have forgot to log in with the above post. :o :o

#12 Guest_GHOST_*

Guest_GHOST_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2004 - 08:25 AM

Hi i am new to this board but i have a Q sort of opposite of the one u guys had could u take a lcd and hook it up to a normal computer get it srry for asking a diffrent Q but it sas removing LCD from Laptop ahah.gif

#13 TheSentinel

TheSentinel

The man in the dark

• General Admin
  • 31,817 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 01:13 PM

Hello GHOST

Correct me pleas if I haven't caught what you meant. You wanna use a notebook LCD display instead of a "known" monitor?

If I have caught it:

Would be possible cause the known LCD monitors aren't so diferent to the notebook displays, but.... you need to know how to address it with the installed graphic adapter of your computer. All you need is a technical manual with all details about voltage, signal lines, a power supply thst suits and a chassis for that notebook LCD display.

Lately now you will see that it's cheaper to buy a LCD display than trying to build an own LCD monitor..... :w00t: :w00t:

Greetz
B. Udo

#14 TheSentinel

TheSentinel

The man in the dark

• General Admin
  • 31,817 posts

Posted 30 July 2004 - 10:27 AM

Howdy stidyup

photos are taken, they need some more explanations and ordered a logical way. I think I can present the series "How-2-remove-a-Dell-C610-LCD-Display" Sunday.

So stay tuned stidyup :ph34r:

Grttez
BU

#15 stidyup

stidyup

Is GSF inventory

• Charter Members
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 31 July 2004 - 10:50 PM

I've kept checking :thumb: :thumb:

I'll post back as to how I've gone on, whether I've had to call fire brigade or not :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously thanks for your advice Wave.gif