I got Scammed by "Microsoft scammer"

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Jsdunaj

Jsdunaj

• Active Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 12:19 AM

Well technically not me, but my Uncle fell for the "your pc is infected call this number now (1-800-xxx-xxxx) scam.

he paid them, and gave them access to his computer so the scammer in India could "fix" the problem.

he has closed his card and filed a fraud report, so hopefully he will get the money back. ($395.52)

how should I go about checking to see if his computer is safe to use?

(before I have him reset all his passwords)

They used to have a "HELP, I think im infected" forum, but for some reason I don't have access to it anymore.

any help would be appreciated

Thanks

#2 TheSentinel

TheSentinel

The man in the dark

• General Admin
  • 31,817 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 07:57 AM

Hello Jsdunaj

We at GSFs did shut down all services regards on HELP, I think im infected  September 2016. But let me pick up your uncle's problem.

1rst step of all I would report that issue to Microsoft directely. They have a webpage up giving advices to protect yourself against any MS scams. You'll also find email addresses and more for reporting your problem.

2nd step should be to get over to our partner Security boards for running a HJT log. Please check the very first first link in here, which boards are doing such logs. When they could fix the problem I would suggest in a

3rd step to change all passwords on much saver passwords. I know, it's not easy to keep all of them handy in mind. So look out for a password managing program like Keepass.
It's Freeware and a handy little program and fulfills all needs to protect passwords, generating strong passwords and saving the program itself by creating additional securing parameters for KeePass and the stored passwords. For more details please check the Security webpage of KeePass .
Please keep in mind there are lots of other password managing tools out there and you do not have to spend money to get a proper working one.

Last but not least another, much more important suggestions:

• Make sure the OS on your Uncle's PC is always up-2-date for the latest security updates
  • Spend money for a good Antivirus Program (f.e. NAV, KIS or GData)
  • Get some protection Add-ons for your Uncles fav browser (which is please?) .
  • Go for a weekly less, better daily cleaning of the visited websites from the browser cache. Most of these browser cleanings can be done by a clever set-up of the browser(s), you're running.
  • Do not open any emails by senders you do not know about, especially those emails with any kind of attachement.

Ok, I'll check in on this post tomorrow again....

Good luck

Regards
TheSentinel