MVPS Hosts file

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 alluremake

alluremake

• 10 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 06:49 PM

Hi,

Ever since I downloaded the MVPS Hosts file (it replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well-known ad sites, etc. Bascially, this prevents one's computer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1, which is your local computer), it seems that the computer and Internet Explorer seem to be running more slowly. For instance, on the internet, when I view a certain webpage, once in a while, the page freezes for about 6 seconds. Also, going to websites was not as fast as before. I was wondering if anyone would know the reason behind this?? and how can I fix it??

#2 toadbee

toadbee

Each one should have such a red toad :)

• General Admin
  • 4,284 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 06:57 PM

Are you running XP - and did you disable your DNS Client?

If not that could be your reason for slowness.
See the information here:
"Editors Note: in most cases a large HOSTS file (over 135 kb) tends to slow down the machine. This only occurs in W2000 and XP. Windows 98 and ME are not affected.".....
about half way down the page.
http://www.mvps.org/...p2002/hosts.htm

#3 alluremake

alluremake

• 10 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 07:01 PM

Yes, I am using Windows XP, and I had already disabled DNS Client. However, it is still running somewhat slower than before. I was wondering if there's a way of getting one's original host file back?

#4 toadbee

toadbee

Each one should have such a red toad :)

• General Admin
  • 4,284 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 08:30 PM

You can edit your hosts file with notepad - just clear the file
except for 1 line:

127.0.0.1 localhost

That line should be present. Then save.

or download hoster, run it, and hit the "restore microsoft's original hosts file" button:
http://www.funkytoad...=...=13&Itemid=

Remember to start you dns client back up again when you're done ;)

Edited by TheSentinel, 01 May 2010 - 05:55 AM.
Link corrected

#5 Hunter

Hunter

The Flying Dutchman

• General Admin
  • 12,477 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 02:30 AM

Also was there anything in your host file in the first place before you added the MVPS Hosts ? If you think there was then I suggest you do clean it out with the hoster program and then put the MVSP hosts back in and see if there is a difference.

Also maybe you have/had another program that adds things to the hosts.

#6 bellgamin

bellgamin

Highly Respected Member

• Charter Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 07:16 AM

MVPS is one of the smallest hosts files, and is super speedy on my computer. I would be surprised if it is the cause of your slow-down. Are you perhaps using a security program that scans web activities? Those can slow down your surfing. Some examples of security programs that scan web activities are NOD32, Online Armor, & KAV beta 6.

For an even simpler test, clean out your browser's cache, shut down your browser, rename your HOSTS file to oldhosts, reactivate your browser, & see if that significantly speeds up your surfing.

If doing that does NOT speed things up, then look for other causes such as Firefox's memory leak, cable broadband congestion in your neighborhood, dsl constipation, or (shudder) a nasty.

Edited by bellgamin, 24 February 2006 - 07:20 AM.

#7 alluremake

alluremake

• 10 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 09:03 AM

Hi Bellgamin,

What do you mean by cleaning out browser's cache and renaming hosts file to oldhosts? Can you give me some specific instructions on how to do that? Sorry for the inconvenience.

#8 alluremake

alluremake

• 10 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 07:58 AM

Never mind. After I downloaded and started using the hoster program and restored it back to Microsoft original hosts file, everything started running faster. Thanks, all of you, for the help.