Release Date: January 14, 2020
The January security release consists of security updates for the following software:
- Microsoft Windows
- Internet Explorer
- Microsoft Office and Microsoft Office Services and Web Apps
- ASP.NET Core
- .NET Core
- .NET Framework
- OneDrive for Android
- Microsoft Dynamics
Please note the following information regarding the security updates:
- For information regarding enabling Windows 10, version 1909 features, please see Windows 10, version 1909 delivery options. Note that Windows 10, versions 1903 and 1909 share a common core operating system with an identical set of system files. They will also share the same security update KBs.
- Windows 10 updates are cumulative. The monthly security release includes all security fixes for vulnerabilities that affect Windows 10, in addition to non-security updates. The updates are available via the Microsoft Update Catalog.
- For information on lifecycle and support dates for Windows 10 operating systems, please see Windows Lifecycle Facts Sheet.
- A list of the latest servicing stack updates for each operating system can be found in ADV990001. This list will be updated whenever a new servicing stack update is released. It is important to install the latest servicing stack update.
- Starting in May 2019, Internet Explorer 11 is available on Windows Server 2012. This configuration is present only in the IE Cumulative package.
- Updates for Windows RT 8.1 and Microsoft Office RT software are only available via Windows Update.
- In addition to security changes for the vulnerabilities, updates include defense-in-depth updates to help improve security-related features.
- Note: Support for Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, and Windows Server 2008 ends January 14, 2020. For more information please see Lifecycle FAQ-Extended Security Updates.
The following CVEs have FAQs with additional information and may include * further steps to take after installing the updates. Please note that this is not a complete list of CVEs for this release.
- CVE-2020-0601 *
- CVE-2020-0654 *
The following KBs contain information about known issues with the security updates. For a complete list of security update KBs, please see 20200114. For more information about Windows Known Issues, please see Windows message center (links to currently-supported versions of Windows are in the left pane).KB Article Applies To 4534271 Windows 10, version 1607, Windows Server 2016 4534273 Windows 10, version 1809, Windows Server version 1809, Windows 10, version 1809, Windows Server version 1809 4534276 Windows 10, version 1709 4534283 Windows Server 2012 (Monthly Rollup) 4534288 Windows Server 2012 (Security-only update) 4534293 Windows 10, version 1803, Windows Server version 1803 4534297 Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2012 R2 (Monthly Rollup) 4534306 Windows 10 4534309 Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2012 R2 (Security-only update)