Photo

Laptop Wireless Antenna

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tae111

tae111

• 3 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 03:52 PM

I am currently using a 17 inch external monitor with my Dell Inspiron 9100 laptop. I would like to remove the laptop monitor. I have tried this and everything work fine except my wireless signal drops off. The antenna is in the monitor. Is there a way to connect an antenna to the laptop to get around this?

#2 TheSentinel

TheSentinel

The man in the dark

• General Admin
  • 31,817 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 07:25 PM

Hello tae111

and welcome at Gladiator Security Forums. Enjoy our small board.
Usually WLAN function will work as long as you don't disable or switch it off. Mounting an external display device does not harm up the WLAN functions!

Did I catch it corret? Please correct me if I am wrong. You closed the display of the laptop, connected the external screen with the notebook via data cable running it that way right? Or did you disasssemble the display of the notebook completly?

Greetz
BU

#3 tae111

tae111

• 3 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 01:57 AM

I took the laptop monitor off the laptop. I had it off for a few days. My signal was very week on my wireless network. I treid a few things to fix this but nothing worked. I just took a guess that the antenna was in the monitor . I put it back on and signal was back to normal. I would like to find a way to take it off as it does not work and am now using a 19 inch one. I am looking for a way to possibly hook up an antenna to the laptop base.

#4 TheSentinel

TheSentinel

The man in the dark

• General Admin
  • 31,817 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 08:32 PM

Happy New Year tae111

best wishes to you and ya folks.

Well must admit I've heard and seen a lot of unusual thing in IT business, but this is something special. First you're right. The antenna is located in the frame of the display. Usually it covers all sides ot the frame. To remove it, you have to open the frame and remove the antenna.

Your idea to hook up any other antenna-like building might be correct, but theye WLAN antennas have a defined and tight specified electrical and radio tedchnical parameters. Any changes beyond that norm will sure cause problems when using it.

Btw. any self-constructions might run into problems with mobile phones and related radio signals, so think over please if you're gonna go that way.

Greetz
B. Udo

#5 Hunter

Hunter

The Flying Dutchman

• General Admin
  • 12,477 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 04:02 AM

Did you have the vertical line problem with that 17 inch in the 9100 ? I have replaced a few of those already..see here.

http://en.community....4/09/10675.aspx

In any case the wires to that mini PCI card which is your wireless card look like this including the antenna behind the bezel..you can take out the antenna and use it or make your own.

Display
Dell? Inspiron? 9100

Display Assembly

Display Bezel

Display Panel

Display Latch

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Display Assembly
Removing the Display Assembly
CAUTION: Before you begin any of the procedures in this section, follow the safety instructions located in the Product Information Guide.
NOTICE: To avoid electrostatic discharge, ground yourself by using a wrist grounding strap or by periodically touching an unpainted metal surface (such as the back panel) on the computer.
NOTICE: To avoid damaging the system board, you must remove the main battery before you begin working inside the computer.

Follow the instructions in "Before Working Inside Your Computer."

Turn the computer over and loosen the two captive screws from the Mini PCI card cover.

NOTE: If a Mini PCI card is installed, you will need to remove the antenna cables from the card. If one is not installed, remove the antenna cables from their secured location.

Disconnect the antenna cables from the Mini PCI card.

antenna cables

Turn the system top side up.

Remove the hinge cover.

Open the display all the way (180 degrees) so that it lies flat against the work surface.

Use the pull-tab to disconnect the display cable.

Remove the four M2.5 x 5-mm screws (two on each side) that connect the LCD display to the system.

NOTE: When removing the display, carefully thread the Mini-PCI antenna cables through the system base.

Lift the display out of the computer.

display cable pull-tab

M2.5 x 5-mm screws (4)

antenna cables (2)

display cable connector

Replacing the Display Assembly
Align the display assembly over the screw holes in the base of the system.

Replace the four M2.5 x 5-mm screws.

Thread the Mini PCI antenna cables back through the hole in the base of the system.

Connect the display cable.

Replace the keyboard.

Replace the hinge cover.

If a wireless Mini PCI card is installed, connect the antenna cables from the card. If one is not installed, connect the antenna cables to their secured location.

Replace the cover.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Display Bezel

display bezel
M2.5 x 3-mm screws (8)

M2.5 x 5-mm screws (6)
screw cover (2)

rubber display bumpers (6)

display panel

Removing the Display Bezel
CAUTION: Before you begin any of the procedures in this section, follow the safety instructions located in the Product Information Guide.
NOTICE: To avoid electrostatic discharge, ground yourself by using a wrist grounding strap or by periodically touching an unpainted metal surface (such as the back panel) on the computer.
NOTICE: To avoid damaging the system board, you must remove the main battery before you begin working inside the computer.

Follow the instructions in "Before Working Inside Your Computer."

Remove the display assembly.

Remove the six rubber display bumpers.

Remove the two screw covers and the two shoulder screws.

Remove the six M2.5 x 5-mm screws around the display.

NOTICE: Carefully separate the bezel from the top cover to avoid damage to the bezel.

Use your fingers to separate the bezel from the top cover by pulling the right bottom corner of the bezel toward the bottom edge of the assembly to clear the tab on the bottom right corner. (A) Then pull the bezel toward the toward the right edge of the assembly to clear the tab on the lower right side. (B)

tabs

Repeat step 6 for the left corner of the bezel. Then use your fingers to release the snaps around the rest of the bezel and lift it away from the cover.

Replacing the Display Bezel
Starting at any corner, use your fingers to gently snap the bezel in place securing the display panel.

Replace the six M2.5 x 5-mm screws on the front of the bezel.

Replace the two shoulder screws and two screw covers.

Replace the six display bumpers around the display assembly.

Attached Files

#6 Hunter

Hunter

The Flying Dutchman

• General Admin
  • 12,477 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 12:52 PM

Adding Mini PCI Wireless Card AND Antenna

DocWatson's description is as follows:

"The antenna consists of two wires about 1.5 feet long each, with tiny gold coax connectors on one end each. Once the NIC is installed you need to open the laptop case again. Connect the antennas to the coax connectors on the NIC, then wrap them around the perimeter of the inside of the case. I used RTV to secure mine, but super glue would do as well. This NIC is now providing dual space diversity on the receive antenna, which is the same way most WAPs and wireless routers transmit. My signal strength is through the roof compared to my old Cisco card."

I think you will also find this link helpful..since many of us in the past added mini pci cards to laptops that never had the wireless capability in the first place.

Repairing and Upgrading WireLess LAN mini-PCI Cards
http://repair4laptop...an_minipci.html

Then you can also go to ebay and see what they look like and get an antenna

http://search.ebay.c...dZm37QQfromZR40

guy_dancin.gif

here is one that is is built into a circuit board to save space rather than a full wave coaxial type.

Attached Files

#7 tae111

tae111

• 3 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 04:37 PM

Thanks to all for the help. I did not experiance the vertical line problem. My screen just went dark. I could see the paged loading faintly through the black screen so I think it was the bulb. I am using an external monitor until I can get around to replacing it. To save space I removed the laptop monitor and thats where the problem began. I have since put the old monitor back on and have the external one next to it. Rather than messing with the wires of the internal antenna I think it will be easier just to fix the old one.

Thanks again
tae111